By Ilan Joseph, Broker, ABR®, e-PRO®, AMP® | TopTorontoAgent.ca
April 6, 2014 | © All rights reserved
Vaughan's secondary suite policy has been long overdue but moving closer towards reality.
2015 will see Vaughan's secondary suites regulations tackle some long standing issues that arise when single family dwellings become multi-family dwellings. Parking, noise, traffic congestion are just a few of the concerns many raised.
Once approved, Vaughan's secondary suites regulations would allow detached, semi-detached and townhouses (not including stacked townhouses), to contain a secondary suite that can be rented out so long as they meet the following requirements:
Safety is a huge concern here. The fire chief receives calls from concerned citizens who feel a home may have too many occupants living in it. This legislation will make Vaughans secondary apartment policy clear and enforceable.
The City of Vaughan is looking at ways it can convince those with illegal secondary apartments to bring them up to standard to make them legal under the new regulation.
Secondary apartments have always been a reality in Vaughan, especially since the price of owning a home in the suburbs is becoming more and more affordable for many young couples and families. Renting an apartment in someone basement or home is sometimes the only affordable option for those looking to live in the suburbs and not in a condo.
Get ready Vaughan, the new regulations will come into effect sometime in 2015.
If you have any questions about investment properties, renting out your home or would like some information about the Toronto, Vaughan or Thornhill real estate markets, feel free to contact me.
- There can only be one secondary suite per dwelling;
- There must be parking for at least three vehicles;
- The home must have more than a nine-metre wide frontage;
- The apartment must have a separate entrance at the side or back of the house;
- The basement apartment must not take up more than 45 per cent of the home’s total floor space;
- Basement apartments will not be allowed in homes with boarders, a home business, a daycare or private tutoring and;
- The basement apartment must comply with the building code, fire code and all city bylaws.
CONTACT ILAN NOW FOR A MORE PERSONALISED SEARCH EXPERIENCE!
Ilan Joseph is a Real Estate Broker with Sutton Group and is co-founder of a 10-person award-winning Toronto, Thornhill and Vaughan real estate team.
You can find him on LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Google+.
For over 10 years, Ilan has provided more than 1550 buyers and sellers valued advice and service, enabling them to reach their real estate goals.
He’s kind of like the Bruce Willis of real estate.